Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Spaghetti alle Vongole (Spaghetti with Clams)

Today I suddenly had an abundance of fresh clams, thanks to a kind gentleman who brought them all the way from Nenasi, a fishing village in Pahang. I’ve never been there before, but now I’m definitely curious… maybe one day I’ll plan a trip!

But first - what to do with all these clams?

The usual Chinese-style ginger and garlic clams came to mind… but honestly, seafood Chinese cooking is not my strength (still learning!). So instead of stressing myself out, I went with something I’m more comfortable with ~ simple "Western-style" dishes.

I split the clams into two batches: one for clams oreganata, and the other for a classic spaghetti alle vongole (spaghetti with clams). And today, I’m sharing this easy, no-fuss pasta that turned out so good.

Light, garlicky, slightly spicy, with a splash of white wine, it’s one of those dishes that feels a bit fancy but is actually very simple to make.


Spaghetti with clams, more clams in the pan

Ingredients:
Spaghetti
1 bowl of clams, soaked in salt water an hour prior and clean the shell
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 medium onion (optional), chopped
1 medium tomato (optional), seeds removed and chopped
A handful     of parsley, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 dried chilli, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Olive oil

Preparation:
  1. Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente.
  2. While that’s cooking, heat a pan and add some olive oil.
  3. Add onions and garlic, saute for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
  4. Toss in the tomato and dried chilli, stir well.
  5. Keep stirring until the garlic starts to lightly brown.
  6. Add in the clams and pour in the white wine. Give everything a quick mix.
  7. Turn the heat up high, cover with a lid, and let it cook for about 5 minutes. The clams will open and release their natural juices.
  8. Once the clams have opened, remove the lid, give it a quick stir, and turn off the heat.
  9. Drain the cooked spaghetti and add it into the pan together with the parsley.
  10. Season with salt and black pepper, then toss everything together.
  11. Serve immediately - best enjoyed hot!

What I love about this dish is how simple it is. Just a few ingredients - clams, garlic, olive oil, chilli, parsley, and a splash of white wine, and you get something so flavourful and comforting.

I added onions because I love that extra sweetness in my pasta. Totally optional, but highly recommended.

A quick, satisfying dinner made from mostly pantry ingredients… well, except for the clams. Those were the real stars of the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment

🌱 Starting Fresh: Simple Ways to Reset Your Mind 🌱 Life can feel overwhelming at times, but small actions can make a big difference. As w...