Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sausage Bun

I’ve always loved breads, buns, and puffs. Perfect for breakfast, snacks, or honestly… anytime. So yesterday, I finally decided to try making my own sausage buns at home. For a first attempt, I’d say it wasn’t too difficult. The only “workout” part? Kneading the dough by hand, definitely a bit tiring! But overall, it’s quite straightforward and doesn’t cost much to make.

Here’s what I used:

Ingredients:
330gm flour (I use all purpose flour since I do not have bread flour)
60gm castor sugar
10gm instant yeast (I use Mauri-pan instant yeast)
1 egg
1/ tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp milk powder
40gm butter
120ml water

Filling:
Sausages

Methods:
  1. Mix the instant yeast with water, and put aside.
  2. Mix flour, sugar, milk powder, and salt.
  3. Add water, egg and the yeast.
  4. Mix well to form a dough. (It can be very messy and sticky at this stage)
  5. Then add in butter into the dough and knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
  6. Remove the dough and place it in a mixing bowl. Cover with cling wrap, set it aside to let it rise to double its size.
  7. Cut the dough into small portions about 40g, and let it rest for another 15 mins.
  8. Then roll the small dough to a long shape and roll around the sausage.
  9. Arrange them on a greased baking tray and spaced apart.
  10. Cover and let them rest for another 30-40mins until the buns rise to double the size.
  11. Glaze the buns with egg wash and bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees until golden brown (about 20mins).

For my first try, I’m quite happy with how they turned out. The only thing is I didn’t let the dough proof long enough the second time, so the buns weren’t as light and fluffy as they could be. Lesson learned.

Also, I think I got a bit too excited with the egg wash… the buns came out extra shiny!

Still, seeing those freshly baked sausage buns come out of the oven was such a satisfying moment. Soft, warm, and homemade, definitely worth the effort!

These are the sausage buns I made.

Small portions of the dough, let them rest for 15 mins

Rolled dough over the sausages... setting aside to let them proof

No comments:

Post a Comment

🌱 Starting Fresh: Simple Ways to Reset Your Mind 🌱 Life can feel overwhelming at times, but small actions can make a big difference. As w...